Ingredients (Makes 5 servings):
Total Calories per serving (2 stuffed halves): 353
1 lb Organic Ground Buffalo
5 Poblano Peppers, halved and seeded (for milder taste, Cubanelle peppers or Sweet peppers can be substituted)
½ cup Brown Rice (cooked)
1 medium sized Onion, chopped
2 cloves Finely Chopped Garlic
1 cup Fresh Spinach
¼ cup Chopped Mushrooms
1 package Organic Taco Seasoning
1 8oz can Organic Tomato Sauce
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 oz raw milk sharp cheddar cheese or raw milk spicy jack cheese, shredded
1 jar Salsa
- In a frying pan set on Medium to Medium High, salt and brown the ground buffalo, onion, garlic and mushrooms in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Add brown rice, taco seasoning and tomato sauce. Stir, reduce heat to Medium Low and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add fresh spinach and ground black pepper. Cook 1 minute more, then remove from heat.
- Place stove-top steamer basket into the 2nd frying pan filled 1 ½ – 2 inches with water.
- Stuff the raw pepper halves with taco mixture and place halves in the steamer. Cover and steam for 10 minutes.
- During final 2 minutes of steaming, sprinkle each pepper with Mexican blend shredded cheese.
- Remove and serve with 2 tbsp of salsa.
Specialty Ingredient Information:
Organic Taco Seasoning Mix: Most commercial taco seasoning mixes contain MSG, a neurotoxin, and partially hydrogenated oils (otherwise known as trans-fats), the consumption of which results in increased dangers of chronic diseases such as breast cancer and heart disease.
Ground Buffalo: Bison, also known as buffalo, is a highly nutrient dense food because of the proportion of protein and minerals in relation to its caloric value. One pound of ground bison, in fact, contains 34 grams of protein, while its fat, cholesterol and calorie levels are lower than other popular meats. Comparisons to other meat sources also show that bison has a greater concentration of iron as well as some essential fatty acids necessary for human health.